Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Farewell to a President II


Since Saturday, August 1, I have been glued to my monitor, watching the news and special coverages of the death of former Philippine President Corazon Cojuangco Aquino. I first heard of the sad news via radio streaming on the morning of August 5. Last Monday, I sat and watched as her remains were transferred from La Salle Greenhills to the Manila Cathedral which took 5 hours. Then, there was the Necrological Service on Tuesday night wherein I listened to and cried with the 19 speakers. Lastly, I spent 10 straight hours watching today's Requiem Mass at 9AM, the 8-hour long funeral procession, and the burial at around 8PM.

For me, the highlight of the whole experience was Lea Salonga's rendition of the song, "Bayan Ko", which was popularized during Ninoy Aquino's death and the EDSA Revolution. I got goosebumps listening to her sing and looking at images of the Philippine flag waving on the screen. Below is the clip of Lea Salonga's performace. (Note: I was watching the coverage on ANC because I thought they had the best coverage and anchor people.)



No comments: